The year was 2006, and Fresh was still quite young. We had done a few editorials already and were approached for the Christmas edition. This is a shoot that still sticks in our minds. We loved being able to go a bit wild and show off some really special items. And we got the cover!!
While some of it may have aged slightly we could still serve most of these today. We were so proud when we found this
Eclairs are now a huge trend and we called it in 2006!
We’re even thinking of updating them slightly and re-introducing them onto our menus.
Join us as we take a look back, and maybe you might find some inspiration for Christmas 2015?
Recipe – Caviar Eclairs
25ml unsalted butter
100ml cake flour – sifted
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
90ml creme fraiche
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Make the choux pastry: melt the butter with the water in a small saucepan. Once melted bring the water to the boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and add the flour and salt. Return the mixtre to the heat and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until it pulls away from the sides of the pan (about 4 minutes.) Cool slightly.
3. Add the egg to the dough and beat until you have a smooth and shiny mixture
4. Put the dough in a piping bag and pipe 5cm lengths onto a greased baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Allow to cool before slicing a slit in each one.
5. Spoon in the creme fraiche and top with the caviar.
- For ready made choux pastries ask your nearest bakery to make them without the cream and chocolate
- The caviar will ‘bleed’ into the creme fraiche so don’t add it until you are about to serve the eclairs.